In 1653 Shivaji Maharaj had captured this fort from Adil Shah of Bijapur and renamed it as "VijayDurg". The original name of the fort was "Gheria" and the first fortification appears to have been constructed in 1200 during the regime of Raja Bhoj II.
The Marathas used Vijaydurg Fort as a prominent location for the Maratha warship. The fort which is surrounded by the Arabian Sea and Kharepatan Creek made it even more difficult for the invaders. Hence, the British called it as the 'Eastern Gibraltar'.
Vijaydurg, also known as the Victory Fort, is located on the western coast of India. This fort is counted amongst the strongest marine forts. The fort is spread over an area of around 68796.55 sq m and provides evidence of the martial supremacy of the Marathas under Shivaji's reign.
Vijaydurg, initially known as Gheria, is considered to have been raised by the Bijapur rulers. The fort was later strengthened and enlarged by Shivaji in the 17th century. It was constructed on the hill near the mouth of the Vaghotan River. Surrounded by the sea on three sides and a ditch on the fourth side, the fort was constructed for safeguarding the kingdom from the neighbouring rulers.
From Vijaydurg, Goa is a 200 km drive South along the National Highway
66. The beach facing the Arabian Sea has a historic fort ( 800 years old) from which the town/seaport derives its name. The region offers a very panoramic view of the creek and the fort. A number of virgin beaches abound near Vijaydurg. There is a historic temple, a church and mosque in the village of Vijaydurg.